This flavored simple syrup can be used as a sweetener for tea, coffee, porridge or drinks. It can be added to batters for cakes, pastries, scones or buns. Use it to flavor jams, jellies or sweet sauces.
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 - 5 cups
- 10 large fresh West Indian bay leaves
- 3 cups white granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- Add bay leaves, sugar and water to a pot and place on medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the syrup cool completely before removing the bay leaves and discarding.
- Pour syrup into a sterilized bottle and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.