Try a different kind of potato salad for the holidays or anytime. Instead of using regular potatoes, use sweet potatoes instead (aka yams in the USA). Go for the white-flesh variety that has a purple skin. It has the right amount of starch, creaminess and sweetness to make this salad a hit.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 5
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas (thawed and pat dry)
- 1/4 cup diced sweet peppers (read and yellow or either)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Full-fat mayonnaise
- 1 heaped Tbsp grainy mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into large piece and boil in salted water until tender.
- Add carrots to pot with boiling sweet potatoes exactly 1 minute before the sweet potatoes are done.
- Drain sweet potatoes and carrots. When cool enough to handle, cut the sweet potatoes into bite-size chunks, spread on a large baking sheet and let cool completely along with the carrots.
- When cooled, add sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, sweet peppers, green onions, black pepper, mayonnaise and mustard to a bowl and toss gently to mix thoroughly.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.