This sweet potato pie is served on special occasions in the Caribbean in some of the islands, such as Barbados. It is more of a savory pie with spices and other ingredients added to bring out the natural sweet notes of the sweet potato. Use the white-flesh sweet potato to make this pie.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 lbs white-flesh sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 Tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 - 6 slices pineapple rings (optional)
- 5 - 6 stemmed maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter (unsalted)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Combine mashed sweet potatoes, crushed pineapple, room temperature butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
Transfer mixture to a greased 8 x 8-inch casserole dish. Arrange pineapple slices on top of mixture and place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
Brush the entire top of the pie with the melted butter and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Let pie cool until warm or room temperature before serving.