Plantains are versatile and can end up on either the sweet or savory side of the table. This delicious plantain soup ends up on the savory side and it is a simple and budget friendly recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 green plantains (peeled, shredded)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sofrito
- 4 garlic cloves (made into a paste)
- 9 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- In a large soup pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sofrito and garlic. Sautee for two minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a full boil. Add the plantains, stir, and then lower the heat. Simmer over low to medium low for 30 minutes. Occasionally stir to prevent sticking.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender until thick and smooth.
- Pour into bowls. Season with salt, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and serve.