Prep Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 25 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 pound pink beans (dried)
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sofrito
- 1/2 pound calabaza (West Indian pumpkin) (cleaned, seeded, chopped)
- Soak the beans per package directions over night.
- Drain the beans. Place the beans and the rest of the ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring the beans to a boil over high heat then lower to medium heat.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking. The beans should be soft. If not, cook a little longer.
- If the beans become too thick you may add about 1/4 cup of water at a time to thin them out.
substitute: If you can't find calabaza in your area, you may substitute Hubbard squash or butternut squash.