Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 6 green plantains
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lb. cooked bacon (chopped into small pieces)
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 sweet chili peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
1. Heat the oil for frying to 375 degrees.
2. While the oil is heating up, peel the green plantains and then cut them into 3/4 inch slices.
3. Fry the slices in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They should be a light golden color and semi-soft.
4. Remove the plantain slices with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Tip: Maintain the oil’s temperature.
5. When the plantain slices are cool enough to handle (about 1 minute), smash them into flat rounds.
6. Fry the rounds in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They will turn crisp and golden brown.
7. Remove the slices with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
8. In a mortar and pestle, mash together the bacon, garlic, peppers, onion and olive oil a little at a time until everything is incorporated.
9. Add the broth. If the stuffing is not moist enough, add more broth until you get the consistency you prefer.
10. Serve the stuffing as it is or stuff your turkey and follow cooking instructions on the turkey package.