Cornmeal Dumplings are hearty and filling. They can be made into large dumplings and be eaten with sauteed salt fish or any type of saucy stew. When made into small dumplings, they are added to soups and hearty stews.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 heaped Tsp sugar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Lukewarm water
- Add all the ingredients except the water to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add water and knead to make a dough. Once the dough forms, knead for 2 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls.
- Steam the balls in batches of 3 or 4 for 25 minutes each time. Serve while hot.
- If you are not steaming, then make the balls smaller and drop into soup or stew and let cook for 25 minutes. You can opt to boil the dumplings by adding them boiling water and letting them boil for 20 minutes.