Though the passion for cornbread is not engrained in Caribbean cuisine, it is something that we do enjoy on occasion.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Preheating of oven: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 1 x 10-inch round cornbread
- 3 Tbsp bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 + 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Turn on oven to 400 degrees F
- Add bacon fat or vegetable oil to a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven as it heats up.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and black pepper to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk and butter.
- Pour the egg-milk-butter mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix together to form a batter.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven, pour in the batter and return the skillet to the oven and let bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Cornbread is best eaten warm.