Guanimes de Maiz is a traditional tamal from the islands. Serve this cornmeal dumpling with fish, stew, or beans. These keep well in the freezer so feel free to make some ahead of time for a quick addition to your meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 9 each
- 1/2 pound cornmeal
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- plantain leaves
- Combine the cornmeal, coconut milk, molasses, anise seed and salt in a bowl and thoroughly mix together.
- Wash the plantain leaves and cut into 9 squares about 8x8 inches in size.
- In the center of each banana leaf square, place about 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal mixture. Form the mixture into a 6 inch roll (like a sausage).
- Wrap the banana leaf around the roll and tie each end with a piece of cooking string.
- Boil the guanimes in salted water for 45 minutes. Remove, drain, and serve.