If possible, use boneless, skinless salt cod for easier shredding. Depending on the salted cod you buy, it may require a longer soak time. Read my tips on de-salting codfish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 pound salted codfish fillet
- 1 1/2 tablespoons achiote oil
- 3 ounces of diced bacon
- 1/4 cup recaito (or sofrito of your choice)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (canned or frozen will work in a pinch)
- 6 Spanish olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4-ounce jar pimento pepper slices
- 4 cups water
- Cut the salted codfish into 2 to 3 inch pieces and soak in enough cold tap water to liberally cover the fish pieces for one hour.
- Drain the fish. Remove any skin and bones from the fish. Pull the fish apart with your fingers or shred it with two forks. Set aside.
- Using the pot you plan to cook the rice in, sauté the bacon in achiote oil over medium low heat for five minutes.
- Add the recaito (or sofrito) and minced garlic. Cook for five minutes more.
- Add the tomato paste, olives, capers, black pepper, one or two slices of pimento peppers, and reserved codfish. Continue to cook for another five minutes.
- Add the water and raise the temperature to bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering, rinse the rice until the water is clear. This step removes excess starch.
- Taste the mixture for seasoning. Add salt and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the rice, stir, and lower the heat to medium. Cook until the liquid reaches the level of the rice.
- Place a lid over the pot, reduce the heat to low, and cook with the cover on for 15 minutes.
- Stir the rice from the bottom up, mounding the rice. Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with remaining pimento pepper slices. Serve with tostones or avocado slices.