This shrimp and tomato stew is great for a quick mid-week meal. It's ready in less than 30 minutes and tastes great over white rice with a slice of avacado or tostones
. For the canned stewed tomatoes below, I like to use the kind that is flavored with onions, celery, and green peppers.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 to 10 manzanilla olives (pimento stuffed)
- 1/4 pound smoked ham (diced)
- 1 packet sazón
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound raw shrimp (medium size, peeled and clean)
- salt to taste
- peppper to taste
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the sofrito, bay leaves, olives and ham. Saute over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sazón, tomato sauce, and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and them immediately reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until it just turns pink - about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot.
Makes about 4 servings.