Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- Steak Preparation
- 2 pounds flank steak (or chuck roast)
- 1 large onion (quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 large celery rib (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- water to cover steak in stockpot
- Stew Ingredients
- 1 large onion (sliced into thin strips)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons cumin (ground)
- 1/4 cup sweet peas (cooked)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the steak into a large stockpot and add water to completely cover the steak.
2. Add the quartered onion, smashed garlic, celery and salt.
3. Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce to moderate heat and cook until steak is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
4.Transfer the meat only to a platter to cool and discard the cooking liquid.
5.When the meat is cool enough to handle, shred it with two forks. At this point you may refrigerate the meat overnight.
1. In a large skillet or pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 minute.
2. Reduce the heat to medium heat and add the sliced onion and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, sherry, bay leaves, cumin, and a pinch of salt.
4. Turn the heat to medium high and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
5. Remove the bay leaves.
6. Stir in the shredded beef and cook for about 10 minutes until the beef is heated through.
7. Stir in the peas. Turn of the heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Servings: Serves 4 – 6 people.