This savory chicken dish is a Puerto Rican favorite. Depending on the country, there are other ways of making pollo en escabeche. In the Spanish language, escabeche usually refers to pickled dishes. However, this dish calls for chicken cooked in a vinaigrette and olive oil sauce. The result is highly flavorful, savory chicken.
The chicken is usually eaten hot with a rice dish, but you can cool the chicken and pull it off the bone, then use it in other dishes such as chicken salad sandwich or chicken noodle soup.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken pieces (your favorite cuts)
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 pound onion (peeled and sliced into thin rings)
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (seeded and sliced into thin strips)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Wash the chicken and pat it dry.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken and the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. After 45 minutes, uncover the pot and reduce to low heat.
- Continue to cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes – until the chicken is tender and well cooked.
- Serve the chicken hot with a rice dish.