This soup can easily be converted to a vegetarian version by eliminating the ham and using 6 cups of vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock and bullion cube. A good substitute for calabaza
(West Indian pumpkin) is Hubbard squash. Also, you can use your own sofrito
in this dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound green pigeon peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1 pound calabaza (or winter squash)
- 1 cup ham (cooked, cubed)
- 1/2 cup sofrito
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil for five minutes.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Pigeon peas should be soft and the calabaza falling apart to thicken the soup.
- Serve warm.