This savory rice and bean dish, a hold over of Spanish occupation, is popular in Cuba. There are as many variations of this recipe as there are Cuban cooks. Here is my quick and simple, yet very tasty version.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 one cup servings
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans (undrained)
- 1/4 cup recaito
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Lower heat, and let simmer uncovered until beans reach your desired consistency.
4. Remove and discard bay leaf.
5. Serve black beans side by side or over the top of the white rice.