My jibarito version has a roast beef filling with Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato and seasoned mayonnaise. You can make these large or small for party sandwiches.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- Oil for frying plantains
- 2 large green plantains
- 1 tomato (cut into thin slices)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into slivers)
- Swiss cheese (sliced for sandwiches)
- 1/4 pound roast beef (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Toothpicks and olives to hold the sandwich together
- Heat the oil to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Peel the plantains. Cut the plantains in half, then cut each half lengthwise.
- Fry the plantains in oil for 4 minutes. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels.
- Flatten the plantains. Re-fry in the hot oil for another 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin powder and garlic powder.
- Spread the mayonnaise mix on one side of the flat plantains.
- Build your “sandwich” layering the tomatoes, onions, cheese, and roast beef, using the flat plantains as the bread.
- Stick a toothpick with olives in the middle of the “sandwich”.
- Serve immediately.