There are many ways in which salt fish is prepared in the Caribbean but the most popular way is fried. We say fried but what we really mean is sauteed with thyme, lots of onions, tomatoes and hot pepper. When cooked this way, the salt fish can be eaten with rice, roti, ground provisions. It is most popularly eaten with bakes (a fried dough).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Overnight soaking & boiling: 10 hours, 20 minutes
Total Time: 10 hours, 55 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Minced hot pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz de-salted salt fish, broken into small pieces or shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (white and green parts)
- Add oil to pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, pepper and salt to taste and saute for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add salt fish, toss to mix, reduce heat to low and let cook for 5 - 7 minutes tossing every 2 - 3 minutes.
- Fold in green onions 1 minute before dish is finished. Remove from heat and serve hot or at room temperature.