This Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes Recipe (Bacalao con Papas) is an easy to make salt fish recipe. It's also a good example of how foreign ingredients have found their way into local cuisine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds deboned, salted codfish (soaked to remove salt)
- 3/4 pound potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 green bell pepper (large size, chopped)
- 1 red onion (small size, chopped)
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil the salted codfish and potatoes in a pot of water until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove any foam that forms during boiling.
- Remove the potatoes and set aside.
- Remove the codfish and flake it with two forks. Set aside.
- Discard the water from the pot then heat the olive oil in the pot. Sauté the onions, tomatoes, and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the flaked codfish and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to simmer over medium low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add another 1 cup of water, the cooked potatoes, and tomato paste.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.