This Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes Recipe (Bacalao con Papas) is an easy to make salt fish recipe. It's also a good example of how foreign ingredients have found their way into local cuisine.
To prepare bacalao for this recipe you will have to soak the fish for several hours to remove the salt.
Serve this dish with white rice and tostones.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds deboned, salted codfish (soaked to remove salt)
- 3/4 pound potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 green bell pepper (large size, chopped)
- 1 red onion (small size, chopped)
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil the salted codfish and potatoes in a pot of water until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove any foam that forms during boiling.
- Remove the potatoes and set aside.
- Remove the codfish and flake it with two forks. Set aside.
- Discard the water from the pot then heat the olive oil in the pot. Sauté the onions, tomatoes, and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the flaked codfish and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to simmer over medium low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add another 1 cup of water, the cooked potatoes, and tomato paste.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Serves approximately 6 people.