Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 14 ounces frozen pigeon peas (boiled until soft , drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (cut in quarters)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a pot. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and cilantro. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the boiled pigeon peas and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken bouillon and 3 cups of water. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Mash some of the pigeon peas with a potato masher.
- Allow to boil until water is reduced by half - about 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer over medium low heat until the mixture reaches a creamy consistency - about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot over white rice
NOTE: You may use canned pigeon peas if fresh or frozen are not available.