Recipe Note: Recaito is basically sofrito without the tomatoes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano (dried, crushed)
- Pinch nutmeg (ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup racaito
- 6 pimento stuffed olives
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled, quartered)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, and milk. Then mix in the garlic, oregano, nutmeg, salt, olive oil, vinegar and egg to the meat mixture.
- Form uniform sized meatballs by using the palms of your hands to roll the meat mixture around.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray. Place the meatballs in the dish. Do not allow the sides to touch.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven, and set meatballs aside.
- Sauté the recaito over medium heat in a large pot or deep skillet for 1 minute. Add the olives, capers, tomato sauce, water, potatoes and salt to taste.
- Simmer over medium-low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot over white rice or pasta.