You can cook the chicken yourself or save time and buy a roasted chicken at the grocer. You may also use left over chicken in this recipe.
You can use canned, fresh, or frozen corn kernels. Thaw frozen kernels before using them in this recipe. You may substitute 3 ½ cups of creamed corn in place of corn kernels and skip the pureeing step.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
- Chicken Stuffing
- 3 1/2 pounds of cooked chicken (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled, chopped)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (shell removed and chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup pitted Spanish olives stuffed with pimento (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Corn Topping
- 3 1/2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 7 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celsius).
- Shred the cooked chicken, discarding skin and bones. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- First puree the corn kernels in a food processor.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Pour the pureed corn into the pan.
- Stir in the sugar and season with salt to taste.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. The mixture should start to get thick.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beaten eggs a little at a time until thoroughly incorporated. Set the corn mixture aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Toss in the chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chopped eggs, tomatoes, olives, capers, raisins, and shredded chicken.
- Mix until everything is evenly distributed throughout the filling.
- Ladle the chicken mixture into a 10 x 8 inch baking dish or casserole. Spread the corn topping evenly over the top and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Keeping up with Latin Caribbean Food: