Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese (shredded)
- 10 oz raw shrimp (medium sized, peeled, cleaned)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring the tomato sauce and sofrito to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pat the shrimp dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the shrimp into the sauce pan with the tomato sauce mix.
- Cook the shrimp until it turns pink. About 3 to 5 minutes. Do not over cook the shrimp; it will become rubbery.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool before filling the empanadas.
- Place the filling by the spoonful into your prepared empanada dough, or store bought discs*.
- Fold the dough and filling into a half circle shape and crimp the edges with a fork. If the edges won't stay sealed you can dip the fork in water before crimping or use an egg wash. Do not overfill the empanadas. They will tear and you will lose your filling in the oil.
- Fry the filled empanadas at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 to 2 minutes per side**. They should be lightly golden. Drain on paper towels. Cool slightly before serving.
**If you prefer to bake your empanadas, then bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes. They should be lightly golden.
Servings: Makes approximately 10 empanadas.