Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups west indian pumpkin (peeled, cooked and mashed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix the ingredients together, then cook in a saucepan over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Allow the mix to cool before filling the empanada discs.
- While the mix is cooling, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the filling by the spoonful into your prepared empanada dough, or store bought discs*.
- Fold the dough and filling into a half circle shape and crimp the edges with a fork. If the edges won't stay sealed you can dip the fork in water before crimping or use an egg wash. Do not overfill the empanadas. They will tear and you will lose your filling.
- Bake the empanadas on a greased cookie sheet until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. To avoid burning, watch them closely.
**If you prefer to bake your empanadas, then bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes. They should be lightly golden.
Servings: Makes approximately 6 empanadas.