Traditionally, these empanadas are fried, but you can opt for a healthier baked version. Just follow the directions on the empanada dough package for baking.
This recipe calls for pre-packaged empanada discs. But, you can easily make your own empanada dough.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 oz. package of cream cheese spread
- 8 oz. package of guava paste
- 10 prepared empanada dough discs
- Oil for frying
- Lay one prepared dough disc onto a lightly floured counter top.
- Place one tablespoon of cream cheese and one tablespoon of guava paste on the circle of dough. Keep it centered; do not go all the way to the edge.
- Fold the dough over into a a half circle shape and crimp the edges with a fork. If the edges won't stay sealed you can dip the fork in water before crimping or use an egg wash.
- Fry the filled empanadas at 360 degrees for 1 to 2 minutes per side. They should be lightly golden. Drain on paper towels.