This recipe uses calabaza (West Indian pumpkin). If you can't find it locally, try Hubbard or acorn squash as a substitute.
This soup recipe is also great for using up leftover chicken.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds cooked chicken (skinned, boned, cut into small pieces)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup celery stalk (chopped into cubes)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro (if not available, substitute dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups calabaza (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 10 cups water
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add chicken, bouillon cubes, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and dried cilantro. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water and calabaza. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Break up the angel hair pasta and add to the pot.
- Stir frequently until noodles are tender. Remove from the heat and serve.