Most of the preparation for this dish is in making the dough. Enjoy it any time of the year. This recipe makes two rings, divide ingredients in half to make just one.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- 2 packets of dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup flour for kneading the dough.
- 2 sticks of butter (1/4 pound each, softened)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Place the yeast in a large bowl and stir in the warm milk. Mix until the yeast is dissolved.
- Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, and then add to the mix.
- Mix in half of the flour. When it is well incorporated mix in the rest of the flour.
- Melt one stick of butter and stir into the mixture.
- Lightly flour a kneading surface and your hands to keep the dough from sticking. Knead the dough until it is smooth, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl, cover with a cloth, and set in a warm place to rise to double or more of its original size (2 to 3 hours).
- Once the dough has properly risen, remove it from the bowl and knead it again for about 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- For each half, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter (from the second stick) and then dust with 3/4 cup of brown sugar.
- Roll the dough up into a spiral.
- Grease a coffee ring mold with butter and generously dust with brown sugar.
- Cut the remaining butter into bits and evenly distribute in the mold.
- Cut the dough into 1 to 1 1/4 inch pieces and place into the mold next to each other until filling it.
- Place the mold within another container with hot water. Cover and let rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake the bread for 15 to 20 minutes.