Coconut rice pudding is a popular dessert in the Caribbean. It's so popular that it is sometimes served for breakfast. Here's a simple recipe for a tasty, creamy coconut rice pudding that starts with cooked rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (unsalted, cold)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (unsweeten and shaken)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cocnut extract
- toasted coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Place cooked rice, whole milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a 3 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat.
- Simmer until the pudding has thickened; approximately 45 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Stir in the coconut extract and let simmer for one more minute.
- Serve the rice pudding immediately in dessert cups, while still warm.
Makes 4 servings.