Every culture seems to have their own version of bread pudding, even in the Caribbean. Spanish speaking islands call it pudín de pan. This moist chocolate version of the dessert is an excellent way to use up stale bread before it spoils.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 3 cups milk divided (2 c., 1 c.)
- 4 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups white bread (day old, cubed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Optional toppings: shaved chocolate, whipped cream, cinnamon sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups milk, chocolate, sugar, and butter.
- Stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs, vanilla, cinnamon, and remaining 1 cup of milk.
- Stir in eggs.
- Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes then pour it into the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.