Surullitos is an easy recipe for cornmeal cheese sticks that can be served warm as a side dish or as a snack. They are also great made ahead and served for after school snacks.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil for frying
- Combine the water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stirring constantly, slowly and steadily (so as not to interrupt the boil) pour the cornmeal into the water.
- Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the cheddar cheese.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Divide the mixture into 24 equal portions, then shape each portion into uniform cylinders about 3 inches long. Place them on wax paper to prevent sticking.
- Heat the oil for frying, then fry the surullitos in small batches of 4 at a time for about 5 minutes each. Turn them while frying for even browning.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm until serving time.