Porridge is considered a body builder because of the heartiness of the dish. It is generally made thick enough to eat with a spoon. Served in the morning or in the evening, it is considered a meal by itself. Each household has its own recipe. Here's mine for Cornmeal Porridge.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3 cups
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (finely ground)
- 2 1/2 cups water (divided)
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- Sugar and milk to taste
- Add cornmeal to a bowl. Pour in 1/2 cup water and let soak for 5 minutes.
- While the cornmeal is soaking, add the remaining 2 cups of water to a sauce pot along with the cinnamon stick. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Pour in soaked cornmeal as well as any liquid in the bowl, to the boiling water. Lower the heat to simmer and whisk to avoid lumps.
- Cook covered for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, sweeten with sugar and milk to taste, stirring until fully incorporated.