'Doved' Peas is an excellent side dish that is made and served at Christmas in Barbados. It can be adapted to be used as the protein component of a vegetarian or vegan meal, just eliminate the bacon and ham used as flavorings.
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 16 minutes
Yield: Serves 5
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 rashers of bacon, cut into small pieces or 1/2 cup finely diced ham
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Minced hot pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh or cooked pigeon peas
- Salt to taste
Add oil and bacon to pan and heat. Let bacon render some of its fat. If using ham instead of bacon, heat oil alone in pan.
Add onions and saute until translucent.
Add garlic, thyme, pepper and ham and saute for 1 - 2 mintues
Add peas and toss to mix. Reduce heat to low, if using fresh pigeon peas, cover pan and let cook until peas are fork tender. If using already cooked or canned peas, cook uncovered on medium heat for 3 minutes.
Check for seasoning (salt) and adjust to taste. Remove from heat and serve as a side dish.