1. Empanada Dough
Every tasty empanada starts with the dough. In Latin Caribbean cooking you'll come across two types of dough. One is simple flour dough much like a pie crust and the other is reddish yellow dough made with yucca. You can use either dough interchangeably, but for beginners, try the simple flour dough first.
- Flour Dough Recipe for Empanadas
- Red Yuca Dough Recipe for Empanadas
- Video: How to Make Empanada Dough
Note: Empanada dough is available in specialty markets in the form of frozen discs, usually 10 discs per pack.
2. Empanadas - A Step-by-Step Guide
If you are eager to make your own dough, but don't know where to start, follow this empanada step-by-step guide. In this tutorial, I show you how to make home made pizza empanadas from start to finish. You can use these steps to prepare any empanada recipe.
3. Beef Empanada Recipes
Beef is possibly the most popular empanada filling. You can also substitute corned beef for ground beef.
4. Chicken and Turkey Empanada RecipesShredded or ground chicken and turkey make excellent empanada fillings, too.
5. Chorizo and Pork Empanada RecipesChorizo is a highly seasoned pork sausage popular in the Spanish speaking islands. You can also use pulled pork or gound sausage.
6. Fruit Empanada RecipesEmpanadas can be filled with sweet fillings, such as fruit. Enjoy them as a dessert or snack.
7. Vegetable Empanada RecipesIf you don't eat meat, try a veggie empanada. You can stuff them with your favorite vegetables, beans, or rice fillings.
8. Fish and Seafood Empanada Recipes
Seafood and fish are popular fillings for empanadas. It's not surprising since the Caribbean Sea offers an abundance of fish and shellfish.