Sweet potatoes are not just a southern delicacy. In the Caribbean we have our own sweet potato called a batata or boniato
. This easy recipe for Sweet Potato Croquettes (Croquetas de Batata) is a great way to try the batata. These small fried sweet potato rolls make wonderful appetizers, party snacks, or side dishes. If you can't find batatas in your area, you can substitute the sweet potatoes commonly found on U.S. grocery shelves.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (cooked and mashed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (beaten for egg wash)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Heat oil on a deep frying pan or deep fryer to about 360 ferenheit.
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix together the sweet potatoes, butter, salt, 2 eggs, cinnamon and sugar.
- Shape the mixture into croquettes (small rolls).
- Roll the croquettes in the bread crumbs, then the egg wash, and then in bread crumbs again.
- Fry the croquettes in oil until golden (a couple minutes per side). Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.