There are many versions of fried potato balls with a variety of fillings throughout the Caribbean. This recipe is my version.
Miniature papas rellenas are perfect for snacks, appetizers, or party trays. Large papas rellenas make a great side dish or hand held snack.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 2 pounds mashed potatoes (hot)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablesoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons sofrito
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
2. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir to break up the meat.
3. Add the sofrito, tomato sauce, oregano and salt to the cooked ground beef. Mix thoroughly. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Spread a spoonful of the potato dough mix in the palm of your hand. Make an indentation in the middle and stuff it with the meat mixture.
5. Cover the filling with more potato dough. Shape into a ball. Dust the ball lightly with the remaining cornstarch.
6. Repeat until mix is used up.
7. Deep fry the stuffed potato balls until golden (about 2 minutes).
8. Remove and drain on paper towels.