I love to make this recipe for savory fried cheese balls (bolitas de queso) when throwing a party. The tangy sweetness of the guava dipping sauce pairs nicely with the savory cheese. It's the perfect party fritter, appetizer or finger food.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
chill time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Approximately 18 balls
- For the Cheese Balls
- 1/2 pound Gouda or Edam cheese, shredded
- 1 egg white from a large egg
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- extra flour for dredging
- vegetable oil for frying
- For the Guava Dipping Sauce
- 4 ounces guava paste
- 8 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
Prepare the Dough
- Place the shredded cheese, flour, and egg white into a mixing bowl.
- Mix together by hand to form firm dough. You may use a standing mixer to make lighter work of it.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to firm the dough enough for balls to hold together when you form them.
Prepare the Guava Dipping Sauce
- Combine the guava paste, vinegar, and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Use a whisk to smooth out the paste into a creamy sauce. This will take a few minutes; keep whisking - don't let it burn.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow them to cool before consuming.
Fry the Dough
- Break off chunks of the cheese dough and form into balls of uniform size with the palms of your hands.
- Heat oil to 350 Fahrenheit in a deep fryer, or deep frying pan with about three inches of oil.
- Lightly dredge balls in extra flour, shake off excess, and fry in the hot oil until golden - approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove cheese balls from oil and allow them to drain on paper towels before serving.
Serve with the guava dipping sauce.